In a letter to the church released today (April 3,2011) National Church Council put forth motions to be approved by the convention. The motions are the result of the hard work of both the Structural Renewal Task Force, and the Human Sexuality Task Force.
Click here for the FULL NEWS RELEASE.
Summarizing the Release:
- ELCIC to be reorganized into 3 Synods.
- Conferences to be reconfigured into “areas” (groupings of congregations)
- Synod & national conventions to be held every 3 years and national convention to be smaller in size.
- The Proposed Social Statement on Human Sexuality be adopted. Appropriate motions arising from the statement prepared by Faith, Order, and Doctrine Committee.
- Motion 1 – Affirmation concerning the Unity of the Church. Citing Article VII of the Augsburg Confession – “it is enough for the unity of the church to agree concerning the teaching of the gospel and the administration of the sacraments”. The motion identifies that any attempt to divide the church over a question of adiaphora is an unacceptable confusion of Law and Gospel and any person or organization should refrain from any actions that would divide the body of Christ.
- Motion 2 – Motion on Presiding at or Blessing Marriages. This motion would open the door to allow rostered ministers to preside at or bless legal marriages according to the laws of the province where they serve.
- Motion 3 – Motion on Standards for Ordination and Consecration. This motion recognizes that sexual orientation is not a factor which should disqualify someone from rostered ministry.
This promises to be a very exciting convention for our National Church. I encourage you to leave your comments. I encourage respectful debate but I won’t print or leave on the site anything I think is hateful in nature.